Mike Cope - COPETOONS.COM - Canadian Cartoonist and Humorous Illustrator
About Cartoonist Mike CopeContact Cartoonist Mike CopeSample My Selected Cartooning PortfolioRead the latest news from my cartoon studio

Friday, June 01, 2007

"Good Genes" Gag Cartoon in Reader's Digest Canada Magazine (June 2007)

Reader's Digest Canada Magazine - June 2007 CoverThe June 2007 issue of Reader's Digest Canada Magazine is now available at bookstores and newsstands.

This month, one of my gag cartoons is published in the As Kids See It department on Page 75 ... If you're not a subscriber, I highly encourage you to pickup a copy of the magazine!

As the eldest (and only male) child in our family, I was lucky enough not to be on the hand-me-down receiving end ... err, too often! But here's a little pun that I'm sure many other sibblings can relate too ...

Reader's Digest Canada Magazine - June 2007 - Good Genes Cartoon by Mike Cope
"Good Genes" in Reader's Digest Canada Magazine (June 2007).

Click the above image to see the full cartoon.

One special note about this particular cartoon ... As you'll see below, the original sample for this cartoon was coloured differently than the magazine edition. At the request of the Reader's Digest editors, I provided them with a few revisions that were "brighter/more vivid."

Good Genes (original cartoon sample) by Mike Cope
"Good Genes" original cartoon sample.

Good Genes (Colour Variations) by Mike Cope
"Good Genes" colour variations.

Personally, I still like the original ... But my wife likes the one that appears in the magazine.

Nevertheless, this is a good lesson for aspiring cartoonists. Revisions are simply part of the business. Publications (such as magazines) are your clients. As such, there's nothing wrong with keeping the editor(s) happy ... After all, they decide whether or not to publish you! Even though I liked the original colours, it wasn't that difficult to swap them in Adobe Photoshop. In the end, everyone is happy :)

Stay TOONed!

- Mike Cope

No comments:

Post a Comment