Mike Cope - COPETOONS.COM - Canadian Cartoonist and Humorous Illustrator
About Cartoonist Mike CopeContact Cartoonist Mike CopeSample My Selected Cartooning PortfolioRead the latest news from my cartoon studio

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Comic Strip Superstar Quarterfinalist

Comic Strip Superstar CompetitionI'm happy to announce that my comic strip, Above the Fold, has been selected as a quarterfinalist for Comic Strip Superstar, an international competition being hosted by Amazon.com and Andrews McMeel Universal in search of the next popular comic strip artist!

I received an email message on Monday morning, notifying me of the good news. By Tuesday, Amazon had posted a PDF list of the 250 quarterfinalists on the contest's website. Unfortunately, only the comic strip titles are identified (and not the names of the cartoonists); however, Alan Gardner of the cartoon industry news website,The Daily Cartoonist, is compiling a more comprehensive list as cartoonists are identified.

Due to contest rules, I cannot post any samples of my Above the Fold comic strips that I submitted, but here's a rough pencil sketch of one of the strip's main characters, who aptly goes by the nickname "Ace" ...

Rough Pencil Sketch of 'Ace' from Above the Fold by Mike Cope
Rough Pencil Sketch of "Ace" from Above the Fold by Mike Cope

... That's an extremely poor caricature of President Obama that he's talking to on his iPod Touch :)

If you browse through my previous blog posts, you'll find a full-colour sample of "Ace" standing beside another yet-to-be-named character.

According the the competition's Key Dates, the Second Round Review Period has officially started. Universal Press Syndicate and UCLICK editors are now reviewing and judging each of the First Round Finalists. The top 50 Entries that will advance to the Third Round Semi Finals will be selected by October 11th...

Stay TOONed!

- Mike Cope

2 comments:

  1. Wow, congrats on getting through to the next round! I'm from Hamilton myself, so it's cool to see someone from my end of the world in there. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Leisl! Please keep your finger's crossed ... Next cut is around October 11th!

    BTW ... Great animation work!!!

    ReplyDelete