Mike Cope - COPETOONS.COM - Canadian Cartoonist and Humorous Illustrator
About Cartoonist Mike CopeContact Cartoonist Mike CopeSample My Selected Cartooning PortfolioRead the latest news from my cartoon studio

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

NCS Canada Cartoonists to Visit Ronald McDonald House Family Room at McMaster Children's Hospital

Here's something I'm looking very forward to participating in ...


"Cartoonists in the House!" (Poster design by Mike Cope).

Back in the Fall, I was nominated to take on the acting role of Chair for our Canadian Chapter of the National Cartoonists Society (NCS). It's not a title that comes with any fancy dip pens or ink, but a voluntary role that I was honoured to accept ... Honestly, I'd only been a member of the group for about year, so I think I was bamboozled!

Around that same time, my good friend and talented syndicated cartoonist, Jonathan Mahood (Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog), wrote and suggested the wonderful idea that we organize some visits to local children's hospitals. I've had lots of fun cartooning for kids at local schools, libraries, and community centres for years; but visiting a children's hospital would be so special.

My first instinct was to try McMaster's Children Hospital (part of Hamilton Health Sciences), where my son was born last year.

And so, I contacted the friendly and amazing staff at the Ronald McDonald House Hamilton (RMHH), and they were very open to helping our group of professional cartoonists plan a visit to their RMH Family Room, which operates within the hospital. McMaster Hospital has previously specialized in children's medicine, but it became an exclusive children's hospital just this past year.

Currently, the official Ronald McDonald "House" (part of Ronald McDonald House Charities Canada) that accommodates families requiring extended stays is closed for renovations, as they are expanding from 15 rooms to 40! Nevertheless, the RMH Family Room within the hospital is still open daily; and so, that's where Jonathan Mahood, myself, and the very talented children's illustrator & author, Patricia Storms (Chirp Magazine, Pirate and the Penguin), will be headed next Friday.

"Open to all children (and their families)

currently receiving the wonderful care of

McMaster Children's Hospital."

The lovely Family Services Coordinator, Linda Pordham, whom I met in person yesterday while dropping off printed copies of the above poster, is going to be passing the word on to the kids, families, and medical staff. We have no idea how many kids will be willing and able to show up. It may be 3 ... It may be 30.

But the numbers don't matter. So long as our programme helps bring a few smiles to the kids' faces, then I'll consider it a success.

I can't wait!

- Mike Cope

3 comments:

  1. Wish I could participate, Mike - gotta teach that day. Next time, i hope. Thanks for organizing this for our chapter :^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely hope you can make it to the next one, Leif! Should be on a Saturday when school is out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kids Rooms
      Great way of explaining, i loved way of drawing, pictures always more helpful to make understand, sure in future want to follow it..

      Delete